Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Australian Gum Blossoms for Christmas

Pin It
Hi all, I got to thinking of what flowers for me as an Australian were connected with Christmas. There are the flannel flower and Christmas bell which I might have a play with for another blog post and have a special place in my heart from when I was young but my all time favorite is the eucalyptus trees or we call them the gum trees and their blossoms and nuts that are left.

Where the pine trees have a certain and distinct smell so do the gum trees I especially love the lemon scented gums. Whats cool about these too is they leave some really interesting nuts behind after flowering and releasing their seeds that you can use in decorations. I had some fun making these cute tree decorations with some old tinsel i had.

I also love the bush stories about the gum nut babies and other Australian flora and fauna written by May Gibbs years ago.


the Blossom petals punch from stampin up was used to create these and this is the card I finished making after the video.

and a close up shot of the made paper flowers.

I hope you've enjoyed my Australian Christmas ideas or if you're looking for something different give these a try! now sit back and enjoy the videos.
Blessings to you

and a last thought

“If you remain in me and my words remain in you

, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you”
(John 15:7, NIV)



11 comments:

www.ChiCha.in said...

hii.. Nice Post

For latest stills videos visit ..

www.chicha.in

www.chicha.in

Gaby said...

Wow........what a clever idea.
So pretty.

Have a great day.

Misty Morgan said...

You are so creative! I was just on your site viewing your pinecones and refreshed my page to find your new creation. Thank you so much for sharing your talents and instructions for these beautiful and unique items. I love them all!!! Have a blessed day! Misty

Whimcees said...

Hello!

Oh, I love the Gumnut Babies! If you have this original 1920 book it is now selling here in the states for $107.00 upwards to $350.00 so it is a treasure to have! I wish I did! I would love to make a doll in that image! In 1918 she wrote the Snugglepot & Cuddlepie series - are you familiar with them? I am going to purchase her biography - she was a very interesting woman!

Australia is one of the countries I have always wanted to visit! My father was born in Denmark and after that country it was Australia. So many unique and wonderful facts about your country!

I love the flowers and the great tutorial - thank you for sharing! Wishing you a happy day!

Hugs,

Barbara Diane

Holly M said...

Valita, this post was not only filled with beautiful ideas, but was also very interesting. I live in Kentucky, USA, so I've never seen this plant before. Thank you so much for sharing. I wish I could get some of the gum nuts to decorate with. I love them! Maybe I can find them at a floral shop. In the meantime, I'll try my hand at making the card. Holly M.

Renée M-B. said...

Hi
I love this post. I absolutely love these flowers, too.

Patti Willey said...

Your card above Valita is stunning! What an interesting story! So nice to hear from girls all around the world! Merry Christmas to you and your lovely family from Vermont, USA

Myrna said...

Valita
This has been a wonderful post.
I have enjoyed it so much.
Myrna from Canada

Archana said...

Oh my gosh, Valita. You are amazing flower maker. As a cake decorator I know how "Ron Ben Israel" is putting a soul in his sugar flowers, just like him but the difference is you make paper flowers but both flowers has common thing which is "Soul". Wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

OK I thought I posted? Thank you for the interesting lesson the gum tree nut. You are a true artist in everything you do. The dries one looks like a candle holder.

Ter from Canada ;)

Deb B (Debadoo) said...

Wow, not sure how I missed this video, but I did. The card you did is absolutely gorgeous, and the video was fascinating! I really appreciate you putting still of actual plants in the video. Such an interesting tree.